onXmaps Hunt, Next Generation Mapping Tool
MISSOULA, Mont. (Aug. 3, 2017) –onXmaps, Inc, the industry leader in outdoor mapping technology, today released the next generation of its flagship product, onX Hunt. The latest version represents the best available outdoor recreational mapping technology, including new layers for understanding animal movements, highly accurate landownership data, and enhanced offline usage. Those advances offer an unprecedented level of detail and will transform how hunters experience the outdoors.
“With today’s release, onX is taking digital mapping to the next level,” said Eric Siegfried, CEO at onXmaps, Inc..”We’re ensuring that every outdoorsman and woman can access the most complete and accurate maps possible, and by partnering with well-known hunting organizations, we’ve included more information available to our customers.”
- onX’s New Topo Basemap:onX’s 20 person GIS team has spent more than 5 years compiling every trail and 2-track in the United States, and onX will continue to update the map each year. Hill shading, contours, and geographic features have been combined to help users better orient themselves.
- Boone and Crockett Records: In a collaboration with Boone and Crockett, this layer provides detailed information on trophy records by species and county for all 50 states.
- Randy Newberg’s Roadless Layer:onX continues their long standing relationship with Randy Newberg in creation of this layer for those hunters who want to go deeper into the backcountry. This heat map highlights areas that are the furthest distance from roads
- Prairie Dog Layer:onX spent five months poring over satellite imagery to create the most comprehensive map of existing prairie dog towns in the US –over 16,000 in total.•Historic Wildfires Layer: Hunters have known for years that animals will enter recently burned forests, especially as new growth emerges. This layer presents areas that have been hit by wildfires, including the fires’ names, year of the fire and the number of acres burned.
- USFS Timber Cuts: This layer is perfect for hunters looking for clear cuts or thinned areas of the forest. It displays logging operations on National Forest Land from 2002-2017.
onX has also rebuilt the entire Hunt platform for mobile and web to help upgrade the user experience. Among other changes, customers can now save larger sections of maps to their phones for offline usage. These efforts demonstrate onX’s commitment to ensuring users have the best outdoor experience possible.